A Medical Bicycle Fit at Excel Physical Therapy, is aimed at injury treatment and prevention for cyclists of all abilities, from recreational to racer. If you have neck, back, or knee pain, saddle sores, or hand and/or foot numbness, your bicycle probably doesn’t fit you properly. Correct cycling position is key to decreasing pain and preventing injuries as well as improving performance.
A bike fit performed by a physical therapist includes a biomechanical evaluation to determine if your cycling posture and pedaling mechanics need improvement. You’ll receive a comprehensive muscle, joint and bicycle evaluation to improve your cycling mechanics and reduce your risk of cycling-related injuries. The cycle fit will include both static and dynamic assessment to: correctly position the saddle, specific recommendations on stem length and angle, and a particular emphasis on the pedal-cleat interface among other adjustments. The goal is to allow you to ride farther, faster and without pain.
We also work with cyclists interested in improving cycle-specific strength, flexibility, and performance.
Medical Bicycle Fit Evaluation and Consultation
• Examination and treatment of acute and chronic injuries that include spine-related pain, knee pain, iliotibial band friction syndrome, heel-cord inflammation and hand and/or foot numbness or tingling
• Cycling-specific muscle imbalance evaluation, including flexibility and strength-testing.
• Bicycle Fit assessment: a biomechanical assessment is performed of your posture on your bike, including the fit of your seat, handlebar and stem, as well as the interface of your shoe, crank and pedals. We combine that with your ergonomic and aerodynamic body positioning on the bike. Based on our assessment, we will “fit” your bike to you for a more anatomically balanced and strength-oriented ride.
• Video analysis: a frame-by-frame analysis of head and torso positioning; trunk stability; upper body placement; hip and knee alignment and pedal cadence to detect problems in cycling form
• Cycling-specific exercises to enhance strength, flexibility and muscle balance, in order to minimize re-injury or injury.
Bike Fit FAQ’s:
Why should I get a bike fit? A bike that is not fitted properly can cause pain, discomfort, and decreased performance while riding. By getting a bike fit from a specially trained physical therapist, you’ll ensure that you get a bike that fits you and also learn techniques to help improve your riding. A bike fit is beneficial to cyclists of all levels, whether you are an cat 2 racer or a novice rider, a bike fit will improve your overall experience cycling.
What are the benefits of a bike fit?
A physical therapy bike fit will help you learn to find a balanced place on the bike, which will reduce the amount of wasted energy and extra muscular movements. We teach pedal mechanics that will result in a smooth, circular movement that reduces strain on your muscles and joints and helps you to ride more comfortably and efficiently.
What should I bring to my bike fit?
In order to get a proper evaluation and fit you should bring your bike, cleats, and cycling attire. If you keep a training log bring it to your fit too, as it will help the physical therapist determine if training errors are contributing to your injury. Also if your bike has a carbon frame and/or components please bring your torque wrench to ensure proper adjustments are made to your bike.
What does a bike fit cost?
A bike fit is charged by the hour, and most fits take two hours. Your physical therapist my also recommend additional treatment sessions to properly rehabilitate your injury. A medical cycle fit is typically covered by insurance, as part of rehabilitation from your injury. For performance enhancement, a bike fit is a fee for service charge.
Contact: Excel Physical Therapy, Jason Lunden, DPT, Sports Clinical Specialist
jason (at) excelptmt (dot) com
"I'm thrilled with the results from working with my physical therapist, Matt Schumacher. I was able to stop taking pain medication. Thanks to you all." -- P., Bozeman ClientView more testimonials from Excel PT clients »